Academic Web Developer(FT) - Swarthmore
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Academic Web Developer is responsible for creating, maintaining, and supporting academic software to improve teaching, learning, and research at Swarthmore. This position works with academic technologists, IT staff, faculty, and librarians to define requirements and implement solutions. Main responsibilities include the following: Maintain academic software systems including Moodle, WordPress, JupyterHub, RStudio Server, and ArcGIS Server; Responsible for security, data integrity, and up-time; Collaborate with Academic Technologists, Faculty, Librarians, and students to implement new and update existing academic software systems; Manage the entire project lifecycle, including gathering requirements, defining scope, designing and/or implementing applications, conducting tests, and writing documentation; Proactively monitors and analyzes current and emerging trends and technologies, to contribute to the planning and execution of initiatives to improve the academic experience. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years relevant work experience
- Experience implementing and supporting web-based systems, including performing upgrades and handling security, backup, and monitoring.
- Demonstrated front and back end web coding experience
- Proven expertise administering Linux systems in a production environment
- Experience coding in a team environment using a version control system
- A history of successfully managing the full lifecycle of development projects.
- Work habits that demonstrate attention to detail and ability to work on deadline.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience working with academic software used at Swarthmore College, including Moodle, WordPress, JupyterHub/JupterLab, RStudio, ArcGIS
- Experience with running services using Amazon Web Services
- Experience developing applications to conform with web accessibility standards
- Previous work experience in higher education
- A history of open source contributions
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off.